Squeak is a visual implementation of Smalltalk, similar to
Smalltalk-80. It is installed in the CS lab in room
EE 116, but this installation does not permit you to save changes.
Instead, you should do the following:
- Download the following ZIP archive: Squeak2.8-win.zip
- Extract all the files and save them in your own folder.
- Double-click on the file "squeak.exe" to start
- Examine the pre-loaded windows to become familiar with the
- When you are ready to enter messages to the interpreter,
right-click on the main window to show a pop-up menu, then select open =>
- Now you can enter messages directly in the workspace
window. First type a message, then highlight it by left-clicking and
dragging the mouse. Then right-click on the message and select either
"do it" or "print it". Note: the assignment arrow
is obtained by typing the underscore "_".
- To examine the pre-existing class hierarchy, right-click on
the main window, then select open => browser. The 4 panes at the
top of the browser window are ClassCategory, Class, Protocol, and MethodName.
- To create a new category or a new protocol, right-click on
the appropriate pane, then select "add item" or "new
- To create a new class or a new method, modify the message
that appears in the bottom pane. Then highlight your message,
right-click on the message, and select the "accept" option.
- When you wish to exit Squeak, right-click on the main
window, then select the desired option such as "save" or
For further information about Squeak, or to download Squeak
for a different platform, follow this link: